LeMans champ throws around Project 8 - Jaguar XS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

LeMans champ throws around Project 8

Any Jaguar fan is well aware of the Project 8, which is looking to be one of the most impressive vehicles that Jaguar has ever released. A new video just dropped which shows some professional Le Mans drivers, sharing their impressions of the incredible performance in this model. Can not get enough of that engine whine.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 02:01 PM

Apparently Project 8 is so far apart from any regular XE that it feels like an entirely different vehicle. It just goes to show how much Jaguar has raised the bar. I though JLR did well enough with SVR RR models but this is nearly unmatched.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

And it looks like following the success of Project 8, that Jaguar will begin work on a more powerful variant dubbed Project 9 in the near future. Can't believe they are able to push this platform further and I think this model is nicely summarized by a quote in this video.
Quote:
I'll tell you what, that is an amazing car. When you think this is road legal, most road legal cars on the track are a massive disappointment. But this is really something.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Gotta love that engine whine when they floor it in the straight, sounds beautiful and something straight out of a sci-fi movie. The exhaust note is great too, but it's not everyday you hear such a prominent engine whine.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Those are the beautiful sounds of a supercharger, and it's quite a common noise on Mustangs, Hellcats, Camaros and the like. Has Jaguar indicated if there is any variation in trim levels for the Project 8, or is it just coming in one spec? I know its being offered in 3 color options.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
And it looks like following the success of Project 8, that Jaguar will begin work on a more powerful variant dubbed Project 9 in the near future. Can't believe they are able to push this platform further and I think this model is nicely summarized by a quote in this video.
I can only imagine it having a hybrid powertrain with torque fill or just something more super-car like with how things are going so far. It will be a great anchor product to build real rivals to give MB and BMW a run for their money. Now if only they can do this to the F-Type.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 01:54 PM

A hybrid F-Type? Jaguar will need to drastically re-engineer the chassis to reduce body weight in order to compensate for the additional motor and battery weight.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excess View Post
A hybrid F-Type? Jaguar will need to drastically re-engineer the chassis to reduce body weight in order to compensate for the additional motor and battery weight.
If they don't get serious about that Jaguar Supercar/Hypercar then the F-Type should be the next idea product to develop further. Or an entirely new mid-range model on a lighter platform like the Alfa Romeo 4C.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

I don't think we'll be seeing a more powerful variant than what's being offered in the F Type SVR. I mean do you really need more than 575hp in a street car? I'm sure like most other automakers that Jaguar is considering electric variants of their whole line up.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I don't think we'll be seeing a more powerful variant than what's being offered in the F Type SVR. I mean do you really need more than 575hp in a street car? I'm sure like most other automakers that Jaguar is considering electric variants of their whole line up.
Its not a question of if they need it but sometimes car makers come out with vehicles that help to shape the image they want to create.
Hellcat products weren't needed, just staying SRT was adequate but it just worked. Except here, Jaguar will need to keep production limited.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page